Friday, March 31, 2006

THAT's a good question!

I remember being asked a very thought provoking question when daughter #2 was about 4 or 5.....this happened to be the day that I lost my keys for the 3rd time in a week and I was thoroughly frustrated. We had looked in all the "good" spots (meaning spots that seem logical to MOST people) and I just couldn’t think of anywhere else to look. I sat there in the front seat of the car, no doubt complaining loudly, and she just looked at me with her big brown eyes and asked the only logical question....."Mommy are you a loser?"

I guess it’s pretty clear cut, I mean in her view you’re either a loser........or a finder. I remembered this yesterday when I was listening to the radio and they recounted the story of a man who found a Louis Vuitton bag on a Sausalito California park bench which contained a 12 carat diamond ring, pearl and emerald jewelry, a Cartier watch and $500 in cash.....over $1 million dollars in all. He turned it in to the police the same day he found it. What an honest guy!

Anyway, I am unfortunately NOT a finder. I’m a loser (don’t quote me out of context on that one please). The only thing of value that I’ve ever found is my husband. There’s never been any question of whether to return something or keep it for myself – I’ve simply never found anything. I’m much more often the recipient of someone else’s kindness and honesty.

Over the years I’ve lost a beautiful silver watch (at the park when HH and I were on a date ), it was returned, the diamond out of my wedding ring.....still buried somewhere in the construction rubble of our current home, my car keys on occasions too numerous to count, my glasses, at least four hundred earrings, two black swimsuits a couple of years apart (? Still can’t figure that one out), one shoe (I have several l/2 pairs in my closet), books that I’ve been reading, laid down carefully so as not to lose my place, (really.....I literally came back to my chair a day later and the book was gone and I’ve NEVER found it..........it was "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck....I had to pay the library for it and I refuse to buy it to finish reading it because I know I’ll find it someday (I was on page 73).

Unfortunately there are lots more. Yup, there's no other word for it, I’m most definitely a loser. My dear HH and children have been kind to me, they are now trained to watch and remember where I put things. The other day I bought a present for my niece only to wrap it and not be able to find the receipt......luckily Daughter #3 remembered exactly where I put it.....inside the magazine on the front seat of the car....(so it wouldn’t get lost or wrinkled no doubt!)

Today I just want to thank all the "little" people in my life who have found things for me to save me the final insult of .....losing my mind.....while searching for something else!

Sure love ya!

3 comments:

sweet mama entropy said...

Okay, this post is hilarious. I love the reference to the only valuable thing you've ever found - too sweet. And it is nice to have people around to save our sanity. Unfortunately, all my "little" people are into hiding more than finding right now. Maybe someday :)

Bright One said...

You know I never even thought of that, maybe I'm NOT a loser! Maybe I'm the mom/wife of a bunch of hiders! : )

Grammy said...

As long as you don't lose your sense of humour, we're all better off.