Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Forgive me for I have sinned......

Okay so I’m not Catholic and I’ve never been to confession....too many movies on TV and that’s the thought that randomly popped into my head when I threw out a perfectly good frying pan today.

It all stems from a big long involved story on NPR about the dangers of frying (and even worse burning food) in a teflon coated pan.....did anyone else hear it? I just hate it when I hear some story that completely scares me into doing random and perhaps nonsensical things, but it sounded so convincing!

Anyway, after hearing the story I determined I was going to replace, as I often as I could afford it, and piece by piece, all my teflon coated cookware. Therein lies a huge moral dilemma for me. Do I give the teflon stuff to Goodwill and risk giving some poor innocent non-NPR listener cancer? Would it be better to throw it out ...and risk polluting the landfill and possibly the whole community’s water supply? What do you do with a potentially harmful substance? Should I mail it back to DuPont and tell them I have no idea how to dispose of it? (Perhaps they’d feel sorry for me and send me a coupon....but it would probably be for new Teflon coated cookware!)
We watched Pollyanna a couple of weeks ago and it reminded us of the "glad" game, you know seeing the silver (or in this case stainless steel) lining in every sad situation....well my stainless steel lining is that I have shiny new pots! I bought this beauty at TJ Maxx, my favorite store for cooking stuff.


I LOVE to cook, I was even in a magazine once! Really! ....Taste of Home! What did I get for my fabulous cooking? $75! That’s right! I know, I know you’re all so jealous and wondering what I did with the money....well first I paid my tithing, then I used it to improve the lives of all my living relatives (remember that you all when you come into some big money.....I shared with you!).

It was actually very strange how I ended up in that magazine. It all started way back in about 1993.....it was a slow, very slow, day at the office (a government agency which shall remain nameless) and "we girls" were reading Taste of Home magazine on our break. In the magazine was a request for readers to submit their ideas for full meals requiring 30 minutes or less from prep to table. Well of course we were all sure we could think up something and after all if you got in the magazine you got SEVENTY-FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS! We each sent in our menu....mine was Lemon Herb Baked Chicken, Pasta Salad and Indiana Brownies (I know it’s astounding how truly exotic THAT menu sounds). Anyway, that’s the last I thought of it until a sunny afternoon in August of 2002!!!! (Big files they have huh?) They called me on the phone (I wasn’t even living in the same city, nor did I have the same phone number but somehow they found me anyway.....that’s really creepy!)interviewed me, had me submit some pictures and Voila! Instantly Famous!

You wanna know what else I got for my fantabulous cooking? About a month after the magazine with my recipes and pictures came out I got..........a stalker....my very own stalker! Yup, some guy who saw my picture and read the bio in the magazine found out where I lived (from the clues in the article and some sleuthing on the Internet) and started calling me. At first he pretended he was a chef and wanted to use my recipes (right, like they were so great, but hey, I fell for it!), the next time he called me he disguised his voice and said he was a reporter with a news station in Texas and wanted to "interview" me, after that I got LOTS of phone calls from him...once he pretended to be a retarded guy living with his mother ....he said "I have stuff in my fridge and I want to cook something if I tell you what’s in there will you tell me what I can make"...No kidding! It was really scary......I was afraid he’d say I’ve got pickles, and ummm lettuce, and some ketchup and then there’s this arm from the lady I murdered next door!!!AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!! We finally traced the calls to a guy in Texas and the sheriff in his county paid him a visit ....that was the end of my stalker.....I can laugh about it now but it scared the pants off me I can tell you.

Ah well now I know I really don’t want to live the life of the rich and famous, even the not-so-rich and famous. Gotta go cook something in my new pan...have a great day!

2 comments:

Patti said...

I never knew you had a stalker! And now what am I supposed to do with my teflon? I guess I will have to add new pans to my List O' Greed :)

Grammy said...

That's actually really acary. I'm glad it turned out well, but what I really want is to get my hands on those recipes! Are you a sharer?