Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Attitude is everything!!!

Happy Birthday to MEEEEEEE! (slightly off key I know but the best I could do on short notice : ) )

First of all thanks to so many of you who wished me a happy birthday, surprisingly enough today I got up and didn't feel any different than yesterday (except perhaps some excited anticipation regarding piles of presents to be opened later in the day!.....I know I'm so superficial). And thank you for being so upbeat and positive. Blogging, (and READING blogs) has added a new happy moment in my day.

I truly believe that age might just be a state of mind and so I've written a little something to remind myself.....

Try to stay positive, it gets harder each day
Fifty’s darn OLD, or so "people" say
You’re past middle age, the clock’s starting to tick
There’s nothing much for it, you ain’t no spring chick!

There’s gray on those hairs you’re tryin’ to hide
I’ve noticed awhile, and I’m on YOUR side.
Although you’ve tried running, you tire out fast
And stretching and lifting surely can’t last.

They say useful life ends at 40 or so,
Once the body slows down, the mind starts to go.
But I’m telling you now that I’m going to fight
"Old enough" also means that I know my rights!

I don’t have to take this, at least not lying down,
I can still "cut a rug" and go "out on the town".
I’m still able to walk, ....some days even jog!
I’m not some old bump who just sits on a log.

I’m going to stay active, (in spite of these knees)
I’ll take bunches of vitamins, & load up on the B’s.
I’ll drink gallons of water and get all my zzzzz’s
Morning’s I’ll rise, and do...well..... whatever I please!

The wrinkles are permanent, but attitude isn’t
And starting today, I’m outta this prison.
I’m denying the numbers, defying my age
I’ll go out and do something daring and brave.

I’ll go buy a ticket to somewhere extreme
A tropical island, that one in my dreams!
I’ll wear a ....(modest) bikini!......and lay in the sun
My tan’ll be great, I’ll be having fun!

Attitude’s everything ...that’s been crammed in my head
So I’m smiling and chatting....like I’m NOT almost dead,
I’m gonna stay positive, so others can see
The woman within....That’s the one that is Me!

I’m not just fifty on Wednesday, March 29
I’m Happy, I’m Healthy, and I’m doing just fine!
The bikini might be just a pipedream today
But the attitude isn’t, boy, it’s here to stay.

So get ready world, it’s now second half
And Helen’s not THAT old, nor is she yet daft!
There’s plenty to do and even more I can say...
So get with the party or get out of my way!!

I’m going to move into this next phase of life,
And consider it my favorite , no worries, no strife.
Lots time to do good, work hard, and still say
So what’s the big deal?! It’s ONLY A DAY!!!

Happy Birthday To Me!!!
(Please send Presents!)
Sure Love Ya!









6 comments:

Patti said...

Happy Birthday MOM! I loved the poem btw. You are the best and you don't look/act a day over 30!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! Great poem!

Bright One said...

Nutella you're such a LIAR!! I love you for it though! : )

sweet mama entropy said...

Attitude is everthing! My mom (now in her mid-fifties) said she couldn't wait to get older and have wrinkles, because they made you look happy - you seem to wrinkle at all your "smiley" places. I've always loved her sentiments about aging (and now that she has wrinkles she still loves them) and have always hoped I'll age as gracefully (at least in attitude) as she has. Happy Birthday again!

Papa said...

Congrats! I turned 50 about 20 months ago and I can't wait to get even older. The older I get, the sooner I can retire and get on with my life. I'm not as young as I once was, but I'm not nearly as old as I'm gonna get.

Grammy said...

Happy Birthday! Any woman who can write such great sentiments has certainly not yet begun to get old. (I LOVED the poem!) Hope you had a great day and made a super haul - in th present department!