Friday, March 17, 2006

Someone's watching....

Today I had to spend some time at the license branch…..four years have just flown by let me tell you! I was also horrified to have to admit that I now weigh 24 (TWENTY FOUR!!!) pounds more than I did in 2002! (that in addition to being 4 years older is just about all I can take in one day) Good Grief, I’m going to have to do something about that (I guess there’s always the possibility I “fibbed” last time ……...because I did this time!). Anyway there were some things I noticed while I was sitting there waiting with my little number in hand.


  1. Everyone in there looked like they were mad or depressed … is it because it’s the license branch or is this really a representation of the mood of Americans (I mean it’s pretty much a true “random sample”) It made me put a smile on my face (see I was no different than they!).
  2. All the teenagers that came in (about 4 while I was there) were GROUCHY! They were also RUDE to their parents! I would think this would be the time they’d be really happy (they’re getting a license for crying out loud….new freedoms await). I’d also assume that they would be TRYING to let mom and dad see how much they deserve a driver’s license. I’m telling you it was weird and scary. I don’t want to meet ANY of them on the highway.
  3. Nobody is still the same weight they were 4 years ago (it’s certainly not a private place there and I now know exactly how much a whole bunch of strangers weigh …same rules of “fibbing” probably apply so I’ll add 10 percent) and not one of us has LOST weight in four years….


Maybe Item #1 is in direct correlation to Item #3?! Anyway, as I was sitting there listening to people talk to the clerks I was saddened by the general lack of manners and, most of all patience. It made me think of the speech from Daughter #3’s academic excellence convocation…..Maybe you have all heard these but I wanted to share them because they’re just so good…..

The Paradoxical Commandments

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

by Dr. Kent M. Keith


Yup…..we are all just human and we’re going to disappoint others and they will disappoint us but that doesn’t mean we can’t keep trying to do, and be, the best person possible (people are watching us whether we know it or not….I want to give them happy thoughts!)

Have a great weekend! Sure Love Ya!

4 comments:

sweet mama entropy said...

Those are some great observations. Thanks.

Ah, the DMV! So many angry people, such little rooms! I must admit, I was one of those rude teenagers because my mom had forgotten to bring my birth certificate so I actually couldn't get my license that day - I had to wait a week. And I looked properly put-out in my picture too. And then I "fibbed" on the weight question for my last license, so when I got my new one I had to fib again (so it didn't look like I'd really packed on the pounds). Oh the things we do to impress the arresting officer :)

Grammy said...

I think there is a secret mind-altering lazer beam that is activated as you enter the DMV. No one is ever cheerful in there. That place can suck every good feeling you've got straight out of you. I'm glad you survived.

Papa said...

Your list made me remember that if I've given it my best effort, then that's good enough and I shouldn't worry about other people's reactions. I don't have to associate with them all the time, but I can't escape myself. Good thing I'm a nice guy.

Anonymous said...

MOM you had to put Sure Love Ya' didn't you!!WHY!That is so sad!