Friday, March 24, 2006

Notes from a reformed "hollerer"..... : )


Those of you who found my blog thru my daughter’s (Ciao Bella.....aka Nutella!) know that yesterday I, along with the other noble women in our family, was ousted as a "hollerer". I feel the need to defend myself here....I USED (not hollering here just emphasizing!) to be a "hollerer" now I’m more of a "only holler when it’s really important" kinda person. Like if your daughter is going to back off a cliff in her car or.....stab herself with a fork.......or throw her bathrobe on the floor instead of hang it up.....I mean you have to catch her quick......thereby requiring a good holler. It’s not like everything I say is in capital letters....just the important stuff.

Now you can go back to believing that I’m the sweet, mild-tempered, lovable person you’ve come to know over these past two months. Hollerer reformed..........end of story.

I have no doubt that "Nutella" will find herself going through the same kind of metamorphosis as she progresses from married without children, through married WITH children, and on to married with no children at home.

The need for a good "primordial" scream comes and goes with circumstance if you know what I mean. I just no longer face the same kind of challenges....my techniques for dealing with the stress in life run more toward removing myself from the ummmmm.... aggravation..... which I realize is much harder with little tots dependent upon your care.

Stress now comes, more often than not, because I both work AND live, with my "boss" (aka HH). Although I try to make sure the boundary between Boss and Husband is clearly delineated, there are times it becomes blurred. In his role as "Boss" he sometimes has to point out the occasional (VERY seldom) error in my work...being a diligent employee, I of course, accept his criticism cheerfully, without question .............. and then take the rest of the day off to pout.....I mean go shopping.

I expect, upon my return, to be greeted by my "husband" not my "Boss", who will then ask me in the most interested way...."How was the shopping honey?" "Were they having good sales?" "Did you find that perfect pair of shoes you’ve been looking for or did you have to settle for something else.....like last time?" To which I can reply "I DID find the perfect shoes AND a perfect outfit TOO isn’t that wonderful, thank you so much for asking!" We will then retire to the living room to enjoy an evening together in perfect harmony and bliss.

Okay so maybe that’s not exactly how it works.......the shopping part is true.

I have friends who ask me "How can you work for your husband?" (Note: emphasis is on the word "Husband" here, not the word "Your") I tell them it’s easier than I ever imagined. When I worked outside the home and got mad at my boss there was no way I could ever tell him unless I wanted to jeopardize any future promotion.......Now, not only does my boss know I’ll tell him when I’m mad, .....he also knows dinner might be .....well, a bit late.

There are all the little perks too, when I want the day off I take it, when he wants the day off I get the day off then too,...... perfect! When I get tired of sitting at my desk I can go take a walk (or a NAP!). I can take 2 hours for lunch or come in late. I can work from 8 to 5, or 5 to 8 (or 5 to 5:30).

Business lunches are now ONLY with people I like (HH, that means you), I don’t have to worry about sharing a room on overnight trips (in fact I look forward to it), office dress is casual, corporate restructuring means I’m rearranging my desk today. If I want a raise I remind the boss how much I’m worth (then graciously accept a pay cut.....just kidding).

I’m recognized for every achievement no matter how small, my office "feels like home", AND I’ve been employee of the month 142 times!!!


Sure Love Ya!

1 comment:

Patti said...

Woohoo! First to comment! I think your job sounds a lot better than mine. And I love you for being a mother who could speak her mind!