Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Anxiously Engaged....

I couldn’t wait to post today because of a couple of things that happened yesterday. Number one I was inspired by DYM’s post regarding lists and that started me thinking about all the lists I carry around in my head (that would be more effective if I wrote them down). Number two I read an article in LDS Living Magazine last night about being ‘anxiously engaged’.

When Nutella went to college she totally inspired me one day by saying...."I pray every day that I will find someone I can help somehow"....since that day I’ve tried to do the same thing. Most days I’m successful, even if it’s something small.

What this pursuit has resulted in is a kind of mental list that I carry around that helps me achieve this goal...it looks something like this:

5 Minutes or less

  • Write a personal note of thanks, appreciation, gratitude or cheer to someone.
  • Give a hug, a smile, a compliment.

  • Be the one to "yield" (not just in a driving situation)

  • Open your heart and mind to someone’s opinion

  • Give up your spot in line to someone who has children, looks stressed, or has fewer items(or not)

  • Hold your tongue (takes concentration!)

  • Say a prayer for someone

15 minutes

  • Make a phone call to someone who could use a friend or maybe to that person whose name just popped into your head

  • Write some words of inspiration, or your testimony in a book to keep in the car and share when the need arises (Check out this website www.bookcrossing.com for a fun way to share books anonymously...it's great)

  • Call your mom or your dad or a sibling....they never hear from you enough and they miss you!

  • Read your scriptures then jot down some favorites on a bookmark and carry them with you to give away.


    30 minutes or more

  • Take a walk with someone

  • Spend some time really talking to ...your child, your spouse, your parents, a friend.

  • Bake something special and share it

  • Gather up all the carts in the parking lot and put them in the cart return (my daughters used to love this one

  • Cut some flowers from your garden and deliver them or repot a garden plant to share with someone.

  • Make a recording of your favorite music to brighten someone’s day

  • Sort through your pictures and find some you can share with someone....maybe you have pictures of them or their kids or their dog!

  • Pick up trash along the road, in your neighborhood, or at the park.

  • Do some geneology.

  • Invite someone to dinner!

    Well, that’s my list, as I said I kind of carry it around in my head so I’m sure I haven’t remembered everything and I know you have good ideas you could share with me....please do.......because it really is true


‘when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God’

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Once again, INSPIRING. I printed it out!

Grammy said...

I love your list. It's much better than the one that says:
do the laundry
bathe the dog
exercise (if it kills you)
grocery shop,etc.