Monday, March 27, 2006

One Great Book!....


I finished reading “The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Boom, a true story and my new favorite. I had so many people tell me not to read it because it was depressing so I had put it off for …well, years. Even Daughter #3 read it before me (she read it in 6th grade!). Anyway, it was our featured book for book club this month and I am SO glad I read it. I didn’t find it depressing at all, in fact I found it completely inspiring and uplifting. I know I will read it again and again. I’m looking for it in hardback so I can put it in our home library.

Without giving away the whole book, one of my favorite parts is when Corrie and her sister Betsie are sent to a new concentration camp, conditions there are worse than at any place previous and the barracks they are assigned is by far the worst of the entire camp.

There are hundreds of women crammed into one room which is filled with wooden piers stacked three high, with not even enough room between layers to sit up, these “sleeping quarters” are infested with lice and fleas, it is the most dismal of circumstances yet Corrie and her sister try to find something in this place to be thankful for.

They believe the scriptures they read daily…. and as they look around the crowded, filthy room they struggle for understanding and guidance, some kind of peace to get them through this latest ordeal, That very morning they finished reading First Thessalonians and now recall a passage….”rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus…” so in great faith they begin to pray, thanking God for preserving their lives, keeping them together, helping them to arrive without their bible being confiscated, they thank Him for a barracks packed so tightly with women that more can hear as they read, and finally they thank Him for the fleas, not knowing why, just knowing they should thank Him in “ALL circumstances”, and as fleas are a part of this place they humbly give thanks. (Let me say here that I don’t think I’d have the faith to do it….these were awesome women!)

It isn’t until quite a lot later in their story that they discover they have more freedom than others in the camp, their barracks is largely left alone by the guards, they have no surprise inspections, they are free to read the bible morning and night, they can comfort one another and the sick are often able to stay in their beds …. And all of this because Barracks 28 is infested with fleas and the guards won’t enter. Corrie and her sister are in awe of God’s way of protecting them even in the worst of Germany’s concentration camps.

The whole book is filled with many small miracles, I would give away the story if I told you anymore but I can tell you this, my outlook on life after reading this book has changed a hundred fold. Even my scripture reading this morning seemed more meaningful.

If you’ve never read it I highly recommend it, if you’ve read it before. it’s worth reading again. What a great, great book!

Sure Love Ya!

3 comments:

Patti said...

I think I read that book a long time ago, but I remember liking it. Maybe I should read it again!

Sarah said...

I agree that this book is so uplifting. I remember Corrie saying that her sister was such an inspiration to her to be a better Christian and person, and how she wanted to be more like her, and I was like, "Hello! You're amazing as it is!" But she was such a humble and amazing woman. If only we could all be like that!

Grammy said...

I am inspired to go out and get myself a copy. Thanks for the reccommendation. I have heard of this book many times before, but you make me want to read it for myself.