Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Where's the money ...........

Well it's been a week since I began my "shopping" hiatus. It's been pretty darn successful (although I've had a few symptoms of shopping withdrawal..............twitch? .......what twitch?) You may remember that I thought I couldn't give up shopping for a year, but decided instead to experiment for three months and see what kind of fortune I could amass. I know you're dying to know how it's going.......Well, here's my report, I've listed things I resisted buying and the amount saved with a grand total at the end......hey, this is only a week!



ITEM RESISTED Amount SAVED!

1 snack at the gas station (on top of my $47 in gas) $1.00

1 extra bottle of pop (already had one in the morning) $1.25

Pair of jeans on sale for $11.00 (down from
$27 hear my cry as I walk away......waaaaaaaa ) $11.00

Beautiful new stainless steel pot to match my new
frying pan $29.00

1 snack at the grocery store (DIFFERENT day) $.89

1 bottle of pop (didn't need it, can drink water..yuk!) $1.22

1 newspaper (temped by headlines but can read it
on the internet) $.50

Cute shirt on sale 2 for $12.00 $12.00

TOTAL SAVED THIS WEEK $56.86!!!!!!

WOW that was fun (I'm lying, it wasn't fun, I still miss shopping, but today we start tree planting so I won't have time to do it for over a month!)


Now on a side note, ... once a week when I report on my "shopping savings" I'll include something I've learned to do to save money ....these are either things I already do, or things I intend to do "someday" . Feel free to submit your own suggestions.


1. Peel apart a roll of two ply toilet paper and re-roll it into two rolls of one-ply toilet paper.

2. Rinse out used up ketchup bottles with 1/2 cup water....use that for spaghetti sauce at dinner.

3. Save money on laundry by turning your socks inside out and wearing them for a second day before washing them (also adds benefit of making those unsightly black heel marks disappear)

4. Instead of buying liquid soap save all your little splinters of bar soap then put them in a shallow dish overnight with one tablespoon of dish soap and warm water to cover. (This works well for washing hands but not as well for a "bad language deterrent").

5. To keep your pantyhose from "running" spray both legs entirely with hairspray and let dry. It's a bit uncomfortable at first but if you shave your legs before spraying it's not nearly as bad. (P.S. Watch out for chenille chairs!)


HaHaHaHa, ...... HaHaHaHA......HaHaHaHaHa.....I'm not THAT serious about saving money............feel free to try any you want though. : )


Sure Love Ya!

5 comments:

Patti said...

You crack me up!!! I thought you were serious at first!

Thanks for the update...you are so dedicated!

Bright One said...

I knew someone would be going...GROSSS!! Ketchup on Spaghetti....and I guessed that someone might be you! : )

Sarah said...

You are my hero. Not with the tips, but with the not shopping. I don't shop as much anymore but that's because I'm broke, not because I have self-control! Brava!

sweet mama entropy said...

Way to go on the money saved - that's awesome!! Keep it up :)

Blackeyedsue said...

LOL!!! I am soooo impressed!