Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Ahhhhh those teenage crushes.....

I was listening to an A.M. radio show the other day and they had people call in and tell them what they had hanging on the walls of their bedrooms when they were teenagers. It was fun to remember those times....I laughed when some "old" guy (probably about my age) called and said he remembers having Ellie Mae Clampett on his wall ..... HaHaHa, pretty funny.

I remember having Bobby Sherman (Julie, Julie, Julie do ya love me? Julie, Julie, Julie do ya care....),










David Cassidy (remember The Partridge Family?),











Davy Jones and Peter Tork ("The Monkeys"....couldn’t ever decide which one I thought was cutest).





So sad when your old crushes
are only in black and white!

It’s funny now, I mean it wasn’t like I was ever going to meet them or anything, but I sure did have a lot of teenage daydreams about them.

It was pretty much agreed as people called in to the radio program that kids now don’t have the same kind of stuff on their walls....there were more cartoon characters than anything....like Spongebob Squarepants, Fairly Odd Parents, etc.

I asked HH who he had hanging on his wall but he didn’t give me a definitive answer...I know his reading material ran to things like "Fur, Fish and Game" and "Bowhunting" so maybe he had daydreams about big bucks with huge antlers....believe it or not we still have boxes and boxes of those magazines in our attic from when he was a teenager.

I’d like to say my daughters had ....oh, say Nephi, or Moroni on their wall but nope, they were regular kids....although they did all have a picture of the temple in their room. Mostly they plastered their walls with pics of their friends but Daughter #3 currently has Hilary Duff, Stacey Orrico, and the Disney Princesses up there too.



I remember once when I was about 12 or 13 my cousins and I got in a big argument about whether the Monkees or the Beatles were better singers....time has proven my cousins had better music sense than I did........they chose the Beatles, I invested my money in the 9 (count 'em NINE!) albums released by the Monkees (at least while I was still interested in them....1970 and prior).

There’s just no accounting for taste I guess, (AND I’ve always be champion of the underdog).



5 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Sarah said...

It was Jonathan Taylor Thomas and the Backstreet Boys for me (I was a fan before they got famous in the U.S.). But I wasn't actually allowed to hang posters on my walls. I could only hang them on my doors. So I kept photo albums full of pictures of JTT and the BSB that I found in teeny bopper magazines.

Patti said...

Davy Jones was way cuter. Remember the T.V. show!? It's kind of weird that I remember that more than I remember the BackStreet boys or whatever they were. I was a strange child (or I just had good taste :)

Grammy said...

Nutella is correct! Davy Jones was Waaayyy cuter & he had that amazing British accent. No comparison.

I'm obviously older than you are. Although I had not posters on my walls, I really liked the Beatles and (here's where my no musical discernment comes in) kind of liked the Beach Boys.

Blackeyedsue said...

Don't string me up for this but I had a poster of Kirk Cameron on the ceiling above my bed (it was the "thing" to do). You know, the guy from growing pains that now does Christian infomercials. I am very reluctantly admitting that I had a couple of New Kids on the Block posters too. AGGHH...I am running to hide my face in shame!

P.S. I think that pre-bearded John Lennon was a babe!!!