Monday, April 10, 2006

A pain in the "neck".....

Okay yesterday was a complete bust. I pulled ....something....and now I have a terrible pain just under my left shoulder blade. It's awful, not only because it hurts like the dickens, but because it's humiliating. I wish I had done it lifting weights (which I did yesterday morning), or even falling while rock climbing (which is totally made up), but NO, there I was drying my hair upside down and I stood up, gave my hair a little flip and went immediately to my knees with a pain so sharp I could swear I'd been shot.

I have no idea what happened but it hurts! AND it was so distracting yesterday that I couldn't concentrate long enough to get any blogging done....bummer. It's somewhat better today but I've been struggling all morning to upload pics to my blog and I'm finally giving up. Daughter #3 will go unrecognized by today's photo posts.

FHE last night included "seeking" after some geocaches. If you've never had this particular kind of fun you've just gotta try it. Besides being good fun, it's a great way to get outside together. The weather was just beautiful, in the high 60's, so it would have been hard to stay inside and have a lesson ... We had a great time (AND we had ice cream!)

The first stop on our treasure hunt was the Disneymania cache that we placed over a year ago, we had several comments on our site that the container was becoming worn so we went to replace it. There were "muggles" (those regular blokes who are generally clueless about geocaching) about so we had to be a little careful not to get "caught"....

Next we went back to one we have looked for three different times and never found. Even "nutella" and JD looked for it one year and couldn't find it. The clues given were a little misleading (they said it was in a bush and it was actually a Yucca plant....BIG difference!) ANYHOOOOO (hee hee, that reminds me of Barney Fife)....we found it and could cross this one off our list (there's nothing worse than seeking and not finding....very frustrating)

We ended up with two more, one we found and one we didn't....the last one was one someone hid on private property (against geocaching rules by the way) so we didn't look for it.

A month ago we wouldn't have been able to do this, it would have gotten dark too fast....I'm telling you I LOVE this daylight savings time stuff.....Indiana has long been a hotbed of Daylight Saving Time controversy. Historically, the state’s two western corners, which fall in the Central Time Zone, observed DST, while the remainder of the state, in the Eastern Time zone, followed year-round Standard Time (NO DST EVER). An additional complication was that five southeastern counties near Cincinnati and Louisville unofficially observed DST to keep in sync with those cities. More than a little confusing.


In April 2005, Indiana legislators passed a law that implemented Daylight Saving Time statewide beginning on April 2, 2006. However, since we have a tradition of being the most time confused state in the union, 7 northwestern counties and 11 southern counties have opted for Central DST time while the remainder of the state goes for Eastern DST. I heard a man call in to the radio station last week and say he lived in a county where they were petitioning to be allowed to stay on standard time (apparently the county has a lot of dairy farmers and the cows don't like daylight saving time.....I had no idea cows even cared what time it is) He was concerned because he lived in a Central DST county, but his dentist was in an Eastern DST county and with all the controversy about his county denoucing DST he wasn't sure WHAT time to show up....I thought he was going to break down and cry.

Isn't it funny how we manipulate the clock...(like you can get more hours in a day or something, sheeesh!)....I'm all for getting off work an hour earlier and only working 4 days a week -- we'd have lots more time to enjoy the sunshine then!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

I'm sorry about your pain. It's amazing how fast it can take you down and ruin all your plans. Here's hoping that you're feeling better soon.