Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Landmarks....

I laughed at Gabriela's post yesterday, you really need to see it....I laughed not only because the landmark for her town is a giant shrimp (is that possible....a "giant" shrimp?) but because a landmark in my "Smalltown" is a giant.....well, what do you think it is?



This is located on the edge of our local University's campus....as far as I know no one really knows what it represents but you can imagine the kind of guesses.

(I have driven past the above "sculpture" at least twice a day every day for 12 years.....TODAY when I went to take the picture it was gone!! No kidding, in it's place at the entrance to the University is now this one.....apparently they heard I was going to publish the fact that they were represented by the infamous "Big Brown ****!".....I had to walk through campus and finally found the original tucked away in the center ....not visible anymore from the main thoroughfare...go figure : )

Next to that, the most famous landmark is Ivanhoe's, a local ice cream place that people come from far and wide to visit, weeknights it's not unusual to have over 50 people waiting patiently in line to get their "fix". Unfortunately for my waistline we partake of Ivanhoes fare at least once a week. Here's a sampling of their 100 shakes and 100 sundaes menu....

My Favorite: Trojan 1 Shake
Blended peanut butter, frozen yogurt, chopped nuts and chocolate chips.

HH's Favorite: Peanut Butter Crazy Shake
Ice cream blended with peanut butter, chopped nuts, topped with a scoop of hand-dipped chocolate ice cream, more peanut butter and lots of Spanish peanuts.

My Mother-in-law's Favorite: Fudge Crumb Deluxe Sundae
Chocolate nut brownie topped with hand-dipped French vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, a cloud of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.

Nutella's Favorite (before she moved away and got healthy!) Black Forest Shake
A whirlwind of chocolate cookie crumbles and maraschino cherries in a vanilla yogurt shake.

My "old" favorite : Trojan II Shake
Blended mint chocolate chip ice cream swirled with delicious cookie dough pieces, topped with a scoop of hand dipped chocolate ice cream.

Everyone's favorite: Incredible Edible

Cookie dough pieces, crushed Reese's Cup blended in a vanilla yogurt shake with Hot fudge and Hershey bars stirred in, more hot fudge and spanish peanuts served on the side! YUM!


Daughter #2 liked anything fruity but never settled on one thing, she's kind of a health nut so doesn't indulge much

Daughter #3 just graduated from her five year run of nothing but "Clown Sundaes" (favorite flavor of ice cream topped iwth a sugar cone hat, a collar of whipped cream dressed up with candies, cookies and nuts) to a "Dirt Cup Shake" which is nothing but a vanilla shake with crushed oreos and gummi worms on top......which will probably last another five years before she decides to try something new.

Great!, it's only 9:20 in the morning and I'm craving ice cream! Have a great day!

P.S. (Let me know your thoughts on our sculpture(the original) .... and Gabriela -- aren't you glad you have a shrimp?)

7 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

I think my town needs a big brown...um...well, you know. It would be a prime example of the way the leaders care about our city.

I am with you on "everyone's favorite" that sounds the BEST!

Grammy said...

I hate to be the one to say it, but tht scupture is just ODD! Obviously there is no accounting for taste in the art world.

As for ice cream, I'm with your mother-in-law. Give me a huge helping of brownies , ice cream and hot fudge any old day

Patti said...

MMM...Black Forest Shake. I want one so bad right now! Oh Yeah...I am back!

Grammy said...

Hi, H. You should check out Papa's post on this subject. Lethbridge has a "monument to the wind" that's pretty impressive - in an odd sort of way.

Papa said...

That's one big...??? I'm too polite to say. I guess every town's got to be proud of something.

Millie said...

Is that a big poo?

Now I'm in the mood for some major ice cream, and I'm supposed to start Weight Watchers Friday.

THANKS! :)

Gabriela said...

Wow, that is weird! Thanks for sharing your small town's uniqueness!