Monday, May 29, 2006

Crowning "glory?"....or "Time Will Tell?"...

Okay, so Daughter #3 ("Afty" as she calls herself) wants to have her lovely locks cut off in the tradition of Kelly Pickler (if you’re an American Idol fan you’ll know what I mean, if not….here’s her new style).
Daughter #2 ("Tiny") says it's a big mistake....and me? I'm staying out of it. My track record with hair....well, it isn't so hot ....

Until I was seven I had curly hair ….VERY curly hair, I blame this on my mom, who subscribed to the notion that little girls needed something called a permanent wave…I still remember the boxes of Toni Milk Wave (heaven only knows why they called them that because they sure didn’t smell like milk!). She bought them by the cartful whenever they went on sale….little girls must have curls!!! I love you mom but really……! (as you can see we also needed a handbag to go with our dress and perfect coiffure!)


I still remember in lst grade someone saying “Fuzzy, wuzzy was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had no hair but Helen does and it IS fuzzy!!!” Kids are cruel…..

Anyway from 2nd grade through 6th I bravely sported a “pixie” (and took NO pictures I guess...) so that I wouldn’t have to have the dreaded lst day of school perm.

Once I got into Junior High I spent hours drying my hair with a hairbrush and the brisk Wyoming wind doing it’s best substitute for the, not yet invented, desperately needed, hand held blow-dryer…..actually it worked pretty well and I eventually declared my hair "naturally straight" and sported the typical hippie hairdo of the 60’s and 70’s……


Then there was the "Farrah Fawcett period"







Followed by the ever popular "mommy with a mullet" look.....(my kids are dying right now)




and the "I can't do anything with my hair in this humidity" do....





I have since made friends with the hair straightener (so much more convenient than laying my head on an ironing board) and have given up style in favor of ....well, I guess it's just neutrality at this point..


If "Afty" wants to cut her hair I won't say no but I thinks she's perfect the way she is.....





(Besides I don’t want her writing a blog someday about how her mom made her wear her hair long and straight when she wanted it short!)

P.S. I'm having a particularly bad hair day today....it's 90 degrees and 85% humidity!

2 comments:

Patti said...

I love it! You are beautiful in each hairdo, mom!

sweet mama entropy said...

Love the visual aids. Hairstyles are such a journey, aren't they? Looks like you waethered the trip well :)