Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Cravings...


I remember reading somewhere that when you crave a particular food it's because your body is missing something (like stores of fat perhaps?). Anyway it's a nice thought when you're craving chocolate, ice cream and Raisinettes




but I'm not so sure when you're craving .....mmmm say, Mustard!

Betcha Nutella's mouth is watering right now!


I had a great, funny conversation with Nutella over the weekend (and I am no doubt ruining her next post as we speak), about the unusual food cravings she's experiencing as a SAHPP (stay at home pregnant person) She's been a fairly strict vegetarian for the past 3 years but has begun eating a little meat, I mean poultry, ....I think partly because she needs the protein as a PP and partly because she'll eat anything that sounds good right now and since that's hardly anything, meat or no meat she's going to eat it. I think she is now up to about 3 grilled chicken sandwiches in a month which is a HUGE thing for her but the really wierd craving is for Mustard.

Her biggest problem right now may be that, although she craves Mustard, she doesn't crave anything that you would put Mustard on (she has admitted to licking some off a hamburger pattie the other day) so may have to resort to just eating it right out of the jar with a spoon. I say, "Whatever Works Sweetie!"



It made me remember (fondly as you might imagine) being a PP myself. With Nutella I craved pickled vegetables, of any and all kinds, but most especially pickled cherry peppers which I bought in huge gallon jars.......mmmmmm, mmmmm, good!



With "Tiny" it was green olives. I'd take them to work with me in a little baggie ... okay, several little baggies......I worked in a government office and I remember one client coming in at 8:30 in the morning and telling us she thought our office smelled like a delicatessen...they made me remove them from my desk drawer and keep them in the lunchroom....oh well, more breaks for me!!!



Along came "Afty", and my cravings finally became sensible. I desired nothing more than a bag or two of chocolate chips a day which resulted in a whopping 42 pound weight gain for me and a dainty baby girl that weighed in at 9 pounds 3 1/2 ounces ....Isn't it funny how we have to tag on the 1/2 ounce.....like it makes a difference at that point......but in the competition between mothers (you know the one "Well yes, that is a big baby but my baby weighed 9 pounds 4.2 ounces!") it can make all the difference......I digress....


So now I'm just trying to figure out what nutrient my body finds in deficit when I crave Three Musketeers Bars for breakfast, ice cream for lunch, and McDonald's french fries for dinner (probably the aforementioned fat stores feeling threatened as we try to eat healthy food......which by the way has resulted in an 11 pound weight loss over the past 5 weeks and nightmares about worldwide famine).

Sure Love Ya!

P.S. You just HAVE to visit "Tiny's" (aka daughter #2) post from yesterday.....you'll get to know all about her in a nutshell!

3 comments:

Gabriela said...

Mustard, that's a new one!

I craved almost nothing, I hated everything the first 4 months of pregnancy. An occasional urge for a sub sandwich!

sweet mama entropy said...

Ah, cravings! My husband doesn't let me give in to my pregnant "cravings" (he believes there's physically nothing to it, only mental, or at least that the "I'm pregnant' excuse wouldn't hold up in court :) so I stay pretty on track - for the most part. But I do know that your body can miss things and make up for that in food cravings. So back to your cravings... here's my take: 3 Musketeers Bar = Endorphins (chocolate is loaded with them, but fortunately for our waistlines so are hugs from our sweet husbands :); ice cream = calcium; french fries = salt. That's not to say the sweet and fat cravings are not valid, but endorphins, calcium and salt makes it sound so much better, no?

Papa said...

Grammy craved fresh watermelon in the middle of winter in Canada with our first child. Do you have any idea how much fresh watermelon costs in Canada in the middle of February???? And we were poor college students at the time!