Thursday, February 23, 2006

Life is Good....

This morning while misting my sheets (with linen spray I buy at K-mart) I thought how much little things like smell make me happy. It sure doesn't take much money to enjoy life you know? I mean of course I want to have enough to pay my bills and not have to worry about whether we can afford to go out to dinner now and then but I really, (honestly) have no desire to be tremendously wealthy. I started thinking about all the pleasure I get just from simple things and thought I'd make a list....I hope you'll share your favorites with me, maybe I can add some.... You can never be TOO happy!

1. The smell of a "real wood" fire.
2. Hot chocolate with homemade bread and creamed honey.
3. A sunny day in February which means it's time to make maple syrup!
4. A phone call from my daughters to share something special with me.
5. An unexpected hug from a teenager who I'd think would be too old for that "mushy stuff"
6. (Said it before but I'll say it again) Linen Spray! for your sheets when it's too cold or wet, or humid, or hot, or whatever to hang them outside.
7. Freshly baked Chocolate Chip Cookies (if there's any left).
8. A quiet morning to read my scriptures and think.
9. The first song from spring birds....I'm so happy when they're happy!
10. "Peepers" the little frogs that come out in the Midwest whenever they think it's spring (which is sometimes a really warm day in December! Gotta love them peepers).
11. Walking in the woods with my husband....we don't do this often enough!
12. Playing Dance Dance Revolution with my teenage daughter.
13. Christmas music.
14. Hearing my children bear their testimony.
15. Spending time with family.
16. A log cabin in the woods (my home!)



On the other side of the coin that is my personality, is the list of indulgences...the things that DO cost money, but I love enough to splurge on..

1. Really good perfume
2. Airplane trips (as opposed to long car rides!)
3. Vacations
4. Acrylic nails (now and then)
5. Pedicures (even less often)
6. Professional Massages (so rare I've only had TWO in my life but I loved them both)

There are most certainly a lot of other things that bring me pleasure but this morning these things came to mind.

Life is great!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I like your list. I think I would have to add a child's laugh to the things that make me happy.

Bright One said...

Susie q -- you're right, I could also add the smell of a baby....so many things are great about little ones, I sure do miss them!

Patti said...

I am adding crepes with Nutella. It really is one of my favorite things...I'm not just name dropping :)

Grammy said...

OH, I've never tried Nutella on crepes. You are BRILLIANT!

Bright, where do you live that you can make maple syrup? I have to add the first forsythia of spring. My Mom used to bring them in early and "force" them to bud about a month before they were really ready. And lilacs. We can't grow them here, but it just doesn't feel like spring without them.

For indulgences, pedicures (they're really cheap here, so I get one every few months), going to the beach and that cruise we took was heaven!