Thursday, February 23, 2006

Give me inspiration....

I could add please!!!! to the above statement. Writing a blog is harder than I thought, or my life really is as dull and boring as I feared. Somehow I manage to keep busy all day, but at what? My day generally consists of answering the phone (we have a home office), doing the laundry (I have a teenager, need I say more...), planning and/or cooking dinner (or dessert! my favorite because, as we all know, it requires frequent tasting), general cleaning up, and whatever paperwork needs to be done for our business and/or my church calling.... what is my church calling you say? Thanks for asking....

I'm the librarian,...... that's right, a 50 year old librarian named Helen what could be more quaint! (Sometimes I could just kill mom for naming me Helen!)

When I worked outside my home (23+ years for the Federal Government....THAT should explain some things) I would sometimes "meet" people only by phone. After talking to me for years (I mean over a span of years....not for YEARS!) they'd have occasion to meet me face to face and invariably the response would be the same "Oh, my goodness....I thought you'd be a little gray haired old lady with a bun!" "NO, I'm a Medium Sized, BROWN haired lady, who's ONLY 40!!!!!" AAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!.....It's the name ......., have you ever met a young, attractive, even Sexy (sorry kids) Helen....HA! I didn't think so! And why not go by my middle name you ask?.....because it's LOUISE!!!!

Good Grief, why on earth did they ask my mom to name me when she was obviously still under the effects of the ether (really....they used that back then....."Okay doc, go ahead put her to sleep, we'll just grab the thing and yank it out without her help!") Actually mom "said" I was named after one of my dad's old girlfriends (WHAT!? Now I feel SO much better...), and she named me Helen because she was in labor and all she could think about was her.....(Do you suppose she was wishing dad had married HER and it was SHE who would now be going through labor?......hmmmm I wonder if that Helen was a gray haired old lady with a bun?.... I digress...) At any rate mom assures me that she loves me, really, and that the name is just a name after all. Anyway, what am I complaining about, she named my sister "Mitzi", (after our Horse! Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, can't help it......THAT is something I find really funny! Oh, yeah! Sorry Mitz!)

I guess I could note here that my mom was 15 when she married my dad in the Idaho Falls Temple, she was only 16 when she had me ... I remember the names I picked out for babies when I was 16....(Insert silly 16 year old voice of wisdom here) "If it's a girl I'll name her 'Fresca' (Oh MY GOSH!!)" and "If it's a boy .... I'll........I'll give it up for adoption"......see what I mean? 16 year olds shouldn't be allowed to think up names for babies!!!

Anyway back to being the Librarian (no gray hair, no bun), THAT seemed like an easy enough calling when I got it nearly 4 years ago (they keep joking that it's a " lifetime of learning" in there) ....what could be hard about making copies and handing materials over the counter to people ....

Wellllllll it seeeeeeems easy, until you understand they will be asking for (read: demanding) said "materials" at 8:55 a.m. (church at 9:00) Sunday morning, and there will be no LESS THAN 45 OF THEM, AND THEY'LL ALL NEED 15 COPIES OF A 20 PAGE DOUBLE SIDED DOCUMENT, collated please....(smiling sweetly) , and they'll need pictures of ......let's see now, "I think I want that one of Moroni, you know the one? That one where he has that look on his face.....", No, No, not THAT one, maybe it's Elijah....., Do you have any pictures of the Pre-existence? (What....?????!!!!) , How about one of Satan....I'd like one with him looking really...you know "Lucifer like....", or if you don't have that could you come in and role play for us?...... Puhleeezzz!!!! (I'll have to write another blog about this....entitled "Strange but true requests")

How DID I get on that subject? Who knows....anyway....something reminds me it's about time to call that hairdresser .... I said no gray bun....I said nothing about gray roots!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for making me laugh! It was a great start to a new day!

Patti said...

Mom, This post has inspired me to write about my name...I have thought about it before, but this gives me the perfect opportunity.

And you are yet again, stinking hilarious! Love you!

Grammy said...

I remember being the meetinghouse librarian. I often quipped that I had been called to "outer darkness" because I felt so isolated down there. And it was cold! Wintertime in Canada and the library had no heat vent and was right by the back door. Everytime anyone entered, the artic blast swept in with them. We used to warm up by holding our frigid fingers over the open laminating machine. (I'm not kidding!)

Grammy said...

Hey, I think Helen is a great name. My sister is named Helen after my Mom's favorite sister. We were a houseful Helen, Elin & Elinor.

When we had #4 we were going to use Louise for her middle name. (It's my Mom's middle name.) When we told Mom that, she said, "Please, can't you think of anything you like better? I've been cursed with that one my whole life and wouldn't wish it on an innocent young child." We chose a different one.

I've lost your e-mail address, so didn't respond to your quiltiing comment on my post. I wish you were here. There are so many fun things to do with it.