Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A letter to my daughter....

Poor "Tiny" lost her wallet this past weekend....having lost mine only last month I could totally commiserate. In an attempt the cheer her up ...... a short letter.....

Dear Tiny:

I am sorry that you lost your wallet. I'd like to tell you it's the last time you'll ever do that but ....well, you're my daughter and that entitles you to certain um.......rights and privileges.

Because you are my daughter you will be blessed with the gift of being able to forget almost everything. When people hurt your feelings you will only remember it for a short time and then it will be over. When you go to a movie you will be able to enjoy it not just once, but every time you see it because you will have forgotten how it goes. You will enjoy the simplest of drives because it will always seem new.....to this day I can't drive to the temple without saying to myself "This road doesn't look at all familiar to me".

You will have more than one child because you will forget that pregnancy is hard, labor is no fun and raising children is expensive. You will forgive the faults of others because you won't remember what they are until they remind you. And yes, you will leave your purse, your wallet, your glasses, your shoes, your keys, your jackets and sometimes even your mind in all the many places you will go. This will be a vexation to you but it will teach you tolerance for others, understanding and believe it or not it will teach you patience with yourself.

Just like the good fairies in Sleeping Beauty I bestowed upon you gifts, the gift of being like your mom in at least a few things so that I could look at you and say to myself "Yes, she is beautiful, and yes, she is truly my daughter".

I love you (in spite of the crummy gift of forgetfulness!)

1 comment:

Tiny said...

Haha...thank you, Mom! I'm thankful I'm your daughter - the good out weighs the bad!! At least we're far enough away from eachother to not bring too much forgetfulness to ONE side of the country...