Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Blondes have more fun.......And they provide the rest of us with a good laugh!

I have a dear friend, she's a blonde through and through and her name is Joanie. I can count on her to cheer me up on a moment's notice and this weekend was no exception. We have been having an on-going conversation about whether or not it's difficult to get up on Sunday and go to church.

Mind you I'm a morning person, always have been. I do my best work in the morning, I'm coherent, happy, enthusiastic, and intelligent until 9 p.m. at which time the word non-functioning best describes me. Getting up for church is simply not an issue with me, it's easy.

Blondie, aka Joanie, is not..... a morning person. She freely admits this, as well as the struggle it is for her to get up and go to church. She has tried on numerous occasions to convince me that she has an illness, a strange illness that seems recur on a weekly basis. It usually hits her in the wee hours of Sunday morning and by the time the alarm goes off she's got a full blown case of .......whatever it is. The symptoms range from general malaise and joint pain to headaches, ringing ears and slight nausea. Occasionally she convinces herself to stay at home in bed rather than attend church so that she doesn't spread the "disease" to the elderly and infirm among the congregation (she is so thoughtful this way). Luckily, so far as I can tell, the symptoms usually subside sometime after the last meeting of the three hour block and she can resume her sabbath day activities.

This past Sunday she explained that as she had been sick the previous week she was determined to get up and go to church (in other words a weeks worth of guilt had set in). Of course she woke up experiencing some dizziness and aching muscles, her symptoms seemed to get worse as she got ready for church but, to her credit, she was determined.

As she arrived at church she said her feet hurt so badly she could hardly make the walk from the car to the building and she really planned to bear her testimony, now it appeared she wouldn't be able to make it to the pulpit. She was honestly embarrassed and felt ridiculous hobbling along like a 60 year old woman (waaaiiiitttt a minnnuuuttteee............she IS a 60 year old woman!) nevermind, anyway back to the story, where was I? Oh yeah, her feet hurt.....

Anyway, sometime after the invocation but before the sacrament was passed she said she discovered a possible cause of the extreme pain.......her shoes were on the wrong feet!

Joanie, I love you! You're the best! Thanks for being brave enough to let us all laugh at you and feel a little better about our own little problems!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious!

I think my son suffers from her Sunday morning diseas too.