Saturday, October 14, 2006

You are what you think about......

One of the things I have done for the past few years is keep a small notebook with my scriptures. In it I write inspiration I receive as I read, thoughts I have as I listen to talks given in Sacrament Meeting or Confernce, favorite scriptures, and little "words of wisdom" I glean from hearing others. I have pages and pages of good things recorded in my little book....I thought I'd share a few of them with you.... (where I know the source I have included it, sometimes it is only my own thoughts recorded)

  • What matters most is what lasts longest.....the family. M. Russell Ballard
    A sincere apology never includes the word "but" as in.....I am so sorry, but...."

  • The Lord has blessings for us that we may not get because we do not ask. Elder Boyd K. Packer

  • Why do leaders of the church have so many opportunities in their lives where they experience the hand of the Lord? Because they look for it. High Councilman, Marion Ward

  • No message appears in scripture more times, in more ways, than "Ask and ye shall receive". Elder Boyd K. Packer

  • Happiness is like jam....you can't spread it evenly without getting a little on yourself." Kate Curran, speaker Marion Ward

  • If we teach our children how to observe a meaningful fast we will open up to them access to great spiritual power that they will need. Stake High Councilman, Jacksonville, Florida

  • Avoid the spirit and attitude of mockery and cynicism. Cease to find fault one with another. In a world beset by wrath we should not be a party to evil speaking of each other no matter the circumstances. Elder Robert S. Wood

  • Don't be bitter.....be better! John Bytheway

  • As you submit your will to the Lord you are giving him the only thing that is actually yours to give. Elder Neal A. Maxwell

  • There is no limit to the amount of good a man can accomplish if he doesn't care who gets credit for it. President David O. McKay

  • A beautiful woman has a glow of health, a warm personality, strength of character, love of learning, integrity, and the Spirit of the Lord. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

  • At the Chicago Temple the Temple President was asked how temple attendance could be increased or by what efforts it coud be accomplished. He replied "It cannot be done....the people will come or they will not, by their own desire. These are the last days -- the days of weeding out". After hearing his remarks my only thought was this... "Dear God, please bless me not to be a weed!"

  • "I Really Lived" by Sister Marjorie Hinckley... I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with gras stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really LIVED."

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for all of the reminders!

smart mama said...

I keep a little book where i reord my favorites--I have always been impressed by this quote from Mother Teresa—“We must not drift away from humble works, because these are the works nobody will do. It is never too small. We are so small we look at things in a small way. But God almighty sees everything great. Therefore if you just go and sit and listen,- go visit somebody, or bring somebody a flower- small things, wash clothes for somebody, or clean the house, very humble work .that is where you and I must be. For there are many people who can do big things. But there are very few who will do the small things.”

Sarah said...

I would say yes to the Uggs, because while they are ridiculously trendy, they are seriously warm. I have a pair of Ugg clogs that are like five years (they were free, when my aunt was a shoe buyer) and I have worn those shoes out! They kept my feet so warm! Also, I think that while they are trendy, it's a trend that is here to stay. I really don't think that they are going to be out of style anytime soon, especially out West where it's extremely cold. You can't really find them in stores here, but at the Nordy's in Provo, they were all over the floor. But don't get the sand colored ones...they'll get dirty really quick. Go for chestnut, chocolate, or black.

mimisuu said...

These insights are so wonderful. Isn't it great to go back over them from time to time and bask in them? I teach Relief Society in my ward and am always looking for nuggets like these. I may borrow a few.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I have been wanting to do something similar. Thanks for inspiring me to start!