Monday, October 25, 2010

Traditions....anyone?

Last night we watched home movies....well, more like home "movie" singular because youngest child (who isn't so young anymore now that she's 18) can't get enough of herself. For the umpteenth time we watched "The year of My Birth" narrated off camera by said daughter.

It was a happy/sad moment for me to see her as a tiny baby and realize that those days are gone....forever.....not that I won't ever hold a baby again, I do have two of the most adorable grandchildren on the planet and more to come i hope....no, it's because no matter what I do I won't have MY babies to hold. I wish I could go back and do it all over again....with all of the knowledge that I have now at the tender age of 54....it would be so much more fun the second time.

It was fun to see all of the traditions included in that one two hour DVD though. I feel like we have lots of things that are so meaningful to us simply because we've always done them. I'm going to give you a sampe of some of our fall traditions to get you started and then I hope you share your special traditions with me!

1) Carving fantastically intricate pumpkins one for each of us....this tradition includes it's own embedded traditions .... saving all the seeds for roasting, lighting all the pumpkins, lining them up on the counter with "ourselves" behind them and getting a great picture in the dark, and of course emergency repair techniques that we are sure we invented such as toothpicks hold broken jack-o-lantern teeth in place perfectly (at least for the picture!)

2) A gratitude journal hanging around the house for the month of November...just a place to jot down things you are thankful for all month leading up to Thanksgiving.

3) Overdecorating for Halloween, and fall....it was really fun when the girls were still all at home. They came up with some gruesome stuff for girls.....like the headless barbie body covered in ketchup and dangling from the mouth of the bear rug....haha good times!

No comments: